Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vintage Red Copco Skillet Made in Denmark

In a previous blog post where I talked about my turkey salad sandwiches, I promised that I would give more face time to the red Copco cast iron skillet I was using for my green onions.


This Copco 109E skillet is one of the first things I purchased from a Craigslist seller. I was very nervous about the concept of meeting a stranger to make a purchase!  However, the beautiful red colour and great condition reeled me in.  The skillet is 8" in diameter with a pour spout, making it perfect for frying up some green onions with olive oil and salt.


The skillet is made in Denmark as labelled on the underside of the pan. Copco made some great enamelled cast iron pieces between the 1960s to 1980s, designed by the modernist industrial designer Michael Lax. Lax was an American born designer who studied in Finland and was known to have a Scandinavian influence on his designs. His iconic Copco pieces included paella pans, roasters, and tea kettles. I am not sure if this skillet is from Michael Lax's era with the company but I still love the sleek look of it.


If anyone knows the timeline during which Copco made enamelled cast iron, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...