Sunday, April 17, 2011

British Tri-Ang Tricycle from 1930s-1940s

Last weekend, I woke up bright and early to get ready for the Dunbar United Church annual thrift sale. I was a bit disappointed to see the huge line up when I showed up, but you never know with these sales so I stayed optimistic.

The doors finally opened and the big rush began. I couldn't believe how many people showed up! There were masses of household goods, clothing, kids toys and all the usual items. Then I came upon this little tricycle tucked away, right by the entrance.


I debated long and hard about this trike... I have no idea what to do with it, but it was $4 and I was really intruiged by its age and condition.

After doing some research and getting input from the admins of a tricycle fan site (yes, there are antique lovers of all sorts of things I suppose), it appears that this is a British Tri-Ang Tricycle made in the 1930s or 1940s! The company was made up of three brothers from the Lines Family. Three lines make a Triangle, so the company name was born.


In the early 1900s, the company was selling model trains and cars, and tricycles for kids. Production was stopped during WWII as the government deemed the factories necessary for production of weapons instead of toys.

The funny thing is that I was kicking myself about even wasting time going to this sale. It was crowded, full of low quality housewares, and I was disheartened to see a lady carrying out several boxes of Playmobil toys as I was arriving in the kids section. I was ready to head back home, and saw the tricycle as I was leaving. I think it's human nature to burst through the doors, get our bearings, and look around excitedly. I am guessing that's why this trike was still available when I was on my way out!

Linking up to ATG's Thrift Share Monday!

7 comments:

  1. As much as I admire Playmobile, I think you got the better deal. More original and far harder to find. You can not beat the price either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tricycle is too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tricycle is adorable and so unique! Great finds like that can make a bad sale worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the trike. It's very similar to one that my sisters and I tootled about on in the 1960's (ours was red and blue). I look for playmobil at car boot sales sometimes and I only ever see it when it's being carried away in the arms of someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's adorable!! I say save it for future kiddies to ride around on!! I love the seat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes I see a mystery item that has no markings, but seems to be of high quality. I love knowing the background on this stuff so that I can learn a little history!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! I love the story of how they named their company. Great steal!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...