Thursday, September 27, 2012

Crockpot Dulce de Leche

At the garage sale where I scored all my sweet Pyrex Butterprint, the seller threw in three of these Ball jars and lids/seals for free.


I was thinking they would be perfect for crockpot dulce de leche!


Did you know that you can identify the age of your Ball jars by looking closely at the logo font? These here are not very old - if the "B" has a loop in it, the piece is From before 1960. You can see an example at my post on Ball mason jars.


Back to the dulce de leche, just pour some sweetened condensed milk into your mason jars and screw on the lids. Pop them into your slow cooker and cover with water, then cook on low for 8 hours and you will have a creamy, caramelly treat waiting for you!

This should be kept in your fridge and should keep at least a couple months... If it lasts that long! I plan to drizzle some on vanilla ice cream and see how that works out...

12 comments:

  1. Wow is that really all there is to some delicious Dulche De Leche...I will have to try that! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No water in the crockpot? How long will this last? Do you need to refrigerate?

    YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woops woops! Yep submerge in water, then cook! One jar I have is about 2 months old and still tastes fine! I read that if it gets grainy with the sugar crystals solidifying, you can microwave it or warm it in a bowl of hot water to make it smooth again, I guess like honey.

      Delete
    2. Also yes, refrigerate! Once condensed milk cans are opened, they must be refrigerated, so I assume that is necessary after it has been cooked too...

      Delete
  3. I've had a can of condensed milk sitting in my pantry for months waiting to try this! I love those jars by the way. The short and wide ones are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary I can't wait to see your photos of this! I have a hard time photographing food!!

      Delete
  4. Great! I really want to do this!
    I've seen others actually put the whole can of unopened S.C.Milk right into the hot water. And it turns out the same way when you open it hours later!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erica! I read about that too but I was afraid of the exploding can risk... And this way you don't have them cooking with the BPA can lining!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness that looks heavenly! I'm going to have to try that! I bet it would be really yummy on yogurt...because people frown when I eat icecream for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...