Saturday, July 2, 2011

Vintage Pyrex Measuring Cup with Raised Lettering!

I found a Pyrex piece recently that I find myself using all the time - a vintage Pyrex glass measuring cup with raised lettering! In the one-cup size, I find that this is so practical for mixing sauces, measuring for wet ingredients, and even when I need to harvest a few peas. =)


Two characteristics of this beautiful cup give some indication of its age. First, the closed loop handle was phased out in the 90s and replaced by the hook style handle that we now see on modern pieces. Secondly, the also-distinctive red Pyrex lettering on measuring cups was introduced in the 1940s according to Pyrex Love.
 

I suppose this cup could be from the 1930s or even earlier!?


The bottom of the measuring cup is legible from the interior of the cup and reads: "Pyrex Made in Canada - Not for Legal Use - Liquid".


By the way, those are my beautiful Little Marvel Heirloom peas that I've been growing!

Linking up to HLA's Flea Market Finds!

15 comments:

  1. Gotta love Pyrex! I have one too - indispensable! Peas look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new find and the peas do look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely piece of Pyrex! The peas look scrumptious and such a pretty green hue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a great measuring cup! and i want to eat some peas RIGHT NOW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kicking myself!!! Found one of those Pyrex measuring cups recently at a thrift, but for $5 I let it slide. After seeing yours I'm wishing I would've brought it home. It is really great & the peas look delish!!!
    Cheers ~ Lara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, the peas are so sweet, but I am waiting for a bigger harvest, hopefully in a week or two.

    Lara, so funny that you say that. I left this behind the first time I saw it because it was $3.99, but I had to buy it when I returned and it was still there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great piece to have and use!

    You took some really good shots with the peas. My pea harvest has been dismal this year....I don't know why. Nothing grew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love the raised lettering on this measuring cup. Great find!
    Your peas look so fresh and delicious. Nothing better than a pea fresh from the pod.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots of the peas and measuring cup!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find! Now when are you going to stop holding out on us with the rest of your goodies... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a large measuring cup at our booth that looks like yours, but it was used for mixing paint. I'd never seen the raised letters before. I need to take a better look at it to see if it's Pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use glass ones too. Those peas are nice, I have never grown peas. I plant green beans every year. Those look so pretty and fresh I may have to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for all the comments! I just tossed the peas into a pasta, cooked with some bacon and garlic scapes. Pretty tasty, and I just love popping the peas out of the pods.

    I have a big backlog of items I need to photograph and share... Bear with me folks! =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a fantastic measuring cup! It's not as old as Pyrex Love would have you believe though. Different rules apply since it is Canadian Pyrex, and it cannot be older than 1946. That is the year the Canadian factory began production.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the information Corelle Corner!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...