Sunday, July 10, 2011

Dansk Wine Carafe with Teak Stopper

With the help of my friend Rebecca, I was able to score this awesome glass decanter made by Dansk in its original box for $4!


I often find that the cheap goodies go quick on Craigslist... unless they are located in a suburb. I figure since it's a long drive for most people to make, less buyers are willing or able to pounce on great items. This particular seller was located basically next door to my friend's place, and she was gracious enough to pick it up for me.


The best parts of this piece are the sweeping slopes of the delicate glass and the beautiful teak stopper. It's a real delight to hold the decanter at its slender neck.


The carafe was designed by Gunnar Cyren, a Swedish silversmith, and glass and industrial designer. Cyren began to work for Dansk International in 1970, designing this carafe for production in 1980.


Even though it is a wine carafe, I plan to use it to hold water at the dinner table. I think it'll look elegant and should get a lot of use.

Linking up to HLA's Flea Market Finds and ATG's Thrift Share Monday!

16 comments:

  1. That is soooo cool! i love this carafe. Craig list is not really popular here yet, but I'm hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece and I love your idea to use it for water at the dinner table. Isn't it nice to have friends who get it and don't mind helping us find a bargain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find, and you got the original box too! I haven't really tried Craigslist yet for hunting goodies, though I probably should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, craigslist can be a treasure trove, but it really depends on the area. Like Vonlipi said, if it's not popular, there just aren't enough listings to make it worthwhile.

    I'm so glad to have friends and family who understand my love for vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if it's really taken off in London yet, I've looked, but a lot of the listings seem to be in the States anyway!

    Lovely decanter though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's a great find! i love me some wine paraphanalia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sleek, modern and beautiful. It's everything Dansk promises to be! Great find and an even better price tag!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright! Glad to see this baby up... I agree that it is a real delight to hold.
    Kudos to Rebecca :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice piece!

    I was going to buy one that said "Cheap Red Wine" because when I do drink, which is not often, it's usually wine. It's usually white & cheap, but I can make an exception. Anyways, I didn't buy it because it had a chip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What serendipity! I read your post this morning and then literally just found this piece at a thrift store this evening. Totally random. It didn't have the box though and I could only find 'Denmark' on the stopper, so I'm glad you posted all the details! Very helpful. I never actually decant my wine, so mine may become a water pitcher too (which means I'd better plan some dinner parties).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir Thrift a Lot, boy I hate it when I see a good glass item with a chip in it! =(

    Chelsea, that is awesome to hear! I was actually going to add a pic showing the closeup of my teak stopper underside but thought I would bore everyone with all the photos.

    I read before that the stoppers marked Denmark are older than the one I have, which is marked Malaysia on the teak stopper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, good to know. It's funny that it's a Danish stopper, designed by a Swede, with newer ones from Malaysia. So eclectic.

    I also randomly found a Dansk Kobenstyle lasagna pan at a second thrift store that same night (and I hardly ever find Kobenstyle). It was a Scandinavian kind of day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chelsea, you won't believe this - Dansk is an American company! It was started by an American who admired Scandinavian design, and therefore hired Scandinavian designers!

    Can't wait to read all about your Dansk Kobenstyle lasagna pan! That's on my thrift wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just discovered that. Crazy. It's like the United Nations of kitchenware!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! I just found one without the stopper, which is my favorite part of course...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...