Monday, September 19, 2011

Skillet Cookie Baked in Antique Wagner Cast Iron!

This summer, I purchased an old Wagner Ware cast iron pan at a Japanese Community Centre rummage sale for two bucks! It was dirty and grimy and the seller looked almost embarrassed to be selling it. I happily bagged it up to avoid getting greased up, and carried on.


The underside of the pan reads Wagner Ware Sidney -O- which signified its factory which was located in Sidney, Ohio. Mr. SixBalloons used a lot of elbow grease this summer to clean up this cast iron pan, and we seasoned it to a beautiful shine. I decided to bake a big skillet cookie this weekend using a Martha Stewart recipe.


It was definitely fun to make a huge cookie and cut it into wedges. I left it in the oven a bit longer than I should have, as the edges continued to brown in the hot and toasty cast iron pan. It was tasty and fun though, and I can't wait to try out more recipes in my new pan!

Just a note, we had a lot of fun this summer restoring our vintage cast iron pieces, including the valuable Griswold pan I found a while back. Perhaps I will blog a tutorial sometime indicating how we were able to get these in cook-ready shape!

Linking up to ATG's Thrift Share Monday!

6 comments:

  1. I love cast iron...and Big cookies! I would also love a tutorial. I picked up the sweetest cast iron alphabet cookie pan, which had a bit of rust on it. I knew i could restore it, but the easiest method I saw is to put it in the oven on self clean. We're renting, and the oven is old and doesn't have s.c. mode. I'm afraid if I leave it in at 500 I might burn the place down! If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, I'm going to give this a try. Speaking of your Griswold pans, it turns out I've worked with a member of the Griswold family who is now an actor for the past two summers. I didn't make the connection until he mentioned growing up in Erie, PA. And I was like "Wait, as in Griswold cast iron?" Yes, indeed. He was just a kid when his father closed the company in the 50's. What a crazy coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skillet cookie??!!? That's fantastic!!! Whoever invented that is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beetree, I think there are some better ways to do it so I will post soon and let you know.

    monogirl, that is sooo neat. Imagine his family history! They must have quite a cast iron pan collection. :)

    paulad, who doesn't love the idea of a huge cookie???

    In the future I will try an oatmeal raisin type mix as I think it'll get a good crust and a nice chewy centre...

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! That is amazing and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous piece of cast iron!! I'd love to hear your tips on how to season a cast iron pan... we have a few (not those fabulous old world ones, just regular lodge!) and would love to season them properly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...